Be sun smart while you are away
Nothing takes away the fun of sunny destinations faster than a bad sunburn or sunstroke. It is bad for your vacation and even worse for your health. It is essential to prepare your skin for increased sun exposure, and Fabutan has the details on how to do just that.
Below are the items you should bring to make your sunny getaway perfect:
- Base Tan – You should start building your base tan three to four weeks before your vacation. It takes about two to three sessions per week to get a healthy base tan.
- Sunscreen – This is a must-have! Unprotected, untanned skin can burn in as little as 20 minutes. Even if you already have a tan, sunscreen remains essential. You will still tan with it on, and you will reduce the risk of sunburn.
- Lip Balm – Since your lips do not produce melanin, they have no natural protection from the sun. Diligently applying lip balm to your lips will help you avoid overexposure.
- Hat – Whenever possible, wear a hat to reduce the amount of sun exposure to the delicate skin on your head, face, ears and neck.
- Sunglasses – While fantastic for blinking, our eyelids provide almost no protection from the sun. Avoid the short-term effects of tired, itchy eyes and headaches by wearing sunglasses while outdoors.
- Thin, Long Sleeve Shirt – Proper clothing is crucial in protecting yourself from overexposure to the sun. A thin long sleeve shirt is perfect to wear when you feel like you've had enough sun.